Thursday, January 20, 2011

First week of classes.. COMPLETE

I have now been in this beautiful city for a week now and have learned my way around and have fallen even more in love with the city. Emily and I have successfully walked to the market twice with out getting lost or needing a map which is an accomplishment in of its self.

Monday was the first day of classes my alarm was set for 8AM i have not woken up that early in what feels like ages. Its nice to get up early and start your day though. I live literally like a block from the school I got lucky some of the people on the program have a good half hour walk to school. My first class was History of Food, which I think it going to be really interesting. We learn about how history shapes the culture. After that I had cross cultural psychology which is going to be so interesting I can already tell. My professor is from Australia (I LOVE HER ACCENT). Then I had a break which is when Christine Emily and I embarked on our first ever trip to the market where we purchased 1/2 KG of bread at a price of 4 euros, 2 balls of fresh mozzarella for 4 euros and then a 1/2KG of sliced prosciutto. (MOM, you would be proud I tried something new, prosciutto and I am obsessed. )
                                                         Christine and I with are purchases
We then came back to our apartment and made the sandwichs they were so good!! While at the market we saw a gypsy that was begging for bread but on her cell phone, I believe that is a little hypocritical if you ask me.
                                                                      AMAZING Sandwich 

After lunch I had Italian 3 with David who is so presh... the class is challenging since I have not taken italian in a little over two years oh well hopefully I will somehow become fluent in the language. After classes Christine Emily and I then explored the city even more, we discovered we live in the ghetto of florence, there is an asian grocery store that randomly has a wall of american cupcake mixes. The day ended at Naima our new favorite bar where the bartender Sergio loves us!


Tuesday I had my other two classes which were the art history of Florence and Italian Literacy experience both were rather interesting. My art history course is never in the class room we are always out exploring the beautiful art that is scattered through out the city. My Literacy experience class is taught by my psychology teacher. The point of this course is to get us assimilated with the italian culture. I hope by the end of the course I am able to dress and act more european then american. For dinner Emily became a chef and cooked us this amazing meal which I  assisted in making. The meal was chicken seasoned with salt pepper garlic and parmesan cheese along with some grilled veggies all fresh from the market. (I will be taking this recipe home with me to use in my apartment next year).
                                                                   Yummy fresh veggies!

Again our night ended at Naima followed by red garter, I was hoping to find Elayna but that did not happen hopefully tonight we will finally reunite!
                                                             Naima with Christine and Em


Wednesday was just another day of classes which are getting more interesting by the minute. After class I went into a coma for a good two hours I think the time difference is finally catching up to me. In time I will be adjusted after all this is my home for the next 4 months. For dinner again Emily was the chef and Christine and  I assisted. We made chicken seasoned with salt pepper and garlic. We then added a caprese salad to the top which is mozzarella tomato and basil. THIS MEAL WAS AMAZING. We are being creative with our meals at home because it saves us money for all the amazing trips that we have planned. After dinner all the roomies sat down and planned out our semester of traveling. This is the list we came up with Pisa, Chianti, Rome Siena, Venice for the carnival, Cinque Terre and the Almafi coast which are all in Italy. Then outside of italy we plan to go to Moracco, Spain ( Barcelona, Ibiza, Granada) Portugal, Amsterdam, Belgium, Ireland, Interlocken and Greece. I think it is safe to say that I will be broke and need 209375 jobs this summer. But when will I ever be able to live in Europe for four months like I am now and travel, probs NEVER so why not take advantage of it!!

This morning my art history class was a trip to the Duomo I think that it is so cool that some of the classes are not in the classroom. It makes the learning experience completely different then if I was in an art history class at UCONN. I really would love to go to a mass at the Duomo, apparently they have masses on Sundays in english! Its on my bucket list of things to do while over here in Europe.
                                                                             DUOMO!


That is all for now, I must go to the market to purchase more fresh food!

No comments:

Post a Comment