Sunday, January 16, 2011

Damn, I Love This Place

Im sorry I haven't updated in a while, I have been to busy exploring this beautiful city that I have fallen in love with and will most likely not be returning to america.. SORRY MOM AND DAD!

Some things that I have learned about Italy/Europe since I arrived
     1. The women are so skinny and have no legs literally
     2. Gypsys are everywhere begging for money and say something I cant understand
     3. Women are ice queens here and can sometimes be rude
     4. Your a tourist when you wear sketcher shape up shoes and a bright pink north face when walking    
     around the city (ALLIE)

Now on to my life since thursday night....

Thursday night:
After orientation was over we all ran right to our beds because we were exhausted due to a night of bar hopping and jetleg. We went to this really nice restaurant where I had my usual pasta dish, for those that dont know its:  pasta, olive oil, garlic and cheese. We were then given a free bottle of champagne on the house which was a nice treat. We then walked around and went to this bar Naima which has happy hour from 9-11PM everyday. The bartender had friended me on face book before I arrived in florence but was to scared to say yes so I left it pending til I got here. He is very nice and just became the owner two days ago.  We were sitting at a table and asked these two italian boys to take are picture for us then befriended them. They then took us to another bar called The Williams where there was a band that was playing cover songs of the Beatles.

Friday:
We had orientaiton early again getting up was somewhat of a struggle due to the time difference. We had to meet up with everyone in our program at the Duomo which is honestly one of the most beautiful places I have ever since in my life. Its so beautiful that Christine cried... literally. After orientation we had a nice lunch where I had italian pizza SO GOOD... not a lot of tomato sauce which is perfect for me. After lunch we had to trek to the cellphone store and purchase a phone it was 60 euros for this ghetto phone that I literally cant type on but who cares, I dont need a phone while here in italy. We went on a walking tour given by the school which was helpful they showed us the important places in the city. And then ended at a gelato placed called GROM where I had a supper chocolate flavor it was so good. Not like the ice cream that is served at the Purple Monkey. For dinner we went to Gusto Leo which was amazing, I had a salad since I need to limit the amount of carbs I intake for the next four months or else I will be obese.

                                                                  SOOO YUMMMY!!i


We then decided to go back to Naima and we got to sit in this really cool room with couchs and tables after an hour or two we decided to explore which brought us to twice.

Saturday:
Waking up this day was honestly the hardest thing of my life today. I went to the school were I purchased my books only 77 euro WHAT A BARGIN!! I got all the classes I want and I believe I have friends in my classes ill find out tomorrow morning! My classes include History of Food, Cross Culture Psychology, The Art History of Florence, and then Level 3 italian which should be interesting since I have not spoken Italian in two and half years. We have to take a placement test something tells me I will not be doing well on that and will hopefully be in a lower level of italian. We then walked to the other side of the river to explore and see what was over there! We wanted to go to Gusto Pizza which is apparently really good pizza but we got there and it was closed, which was such a disappointment. But I am here for four months I am sure ill be able to experience Gusto Pizza at some point. We then found a cute little shop that had pizza which was good!


                                                          Point Vecchio, SO SO PRETTY!

We came back to our humble abode and napped our lives a way in preparing for space, which is this well know discoteca here in florence. IT WAS PACKED to say the least. The music was loud and it was fun, I am sure we will be back there again

Sunday: 
We have been saying that we wanted to go on a walking tour since we got here. We finally accomplished this goal! Out tour guide was my fabulous room mate Emily. She woke up craving eggs so we googled american diner in florence and boom there was one right by our house. There was a wait but it was worth the wait, it felt like I was back in America. I ordered a nice BLT and had some french fries (which I already miss). After that we got out the Florence and Tuscany day by day book. We settled on the Centro Storico Tour. Which brought us to the Ponte Vecchio, Pizazza della Signoria, Palazzo Vecchio, Basillica di Santa Croce, Museo Nazionale del Bargello, Catterdrale Di Santa Maria del Fiore, Campanile di Giotto, Battistero San Giovanni, Basilica di Sand Lorenzo.

                                                                Basilica di Santa Croce


All of the sites were so beautiful I captured various pictures of them but I do not know which is which. I may need to keep a journal when I site see so I can keep track of what all the beautiful places are. The touring lasted about four hours, I thought my feet were going to fall off. It has been a relaxing afternoon, and we made dinner here tonight to save some euros, for our traveling that I cant wait to plan!

Its after midnight here so I must get my sleep before a fun filled day of classes! I cant believe that I am actually going to school while here in Italy. The story will just keep getting better that I know

1 comment:

  1. you must come over to gusta pizza! its right next to my school and soooo yummy maybe we can meet there one dayyy :)

    ReplyDelete