Thursday, January 13, 2011

Disneyland syndrome

CIAO I MIEI AMICI !!


I have arrived safely in florence after about twenty four hours of 
traveling and layovers! I got to my apartment in a Taxi. The taxi 
driver didn't exactly speak much english. Emily and I tried our 
best to communicate with him. Asking where to eat, where the 
best bars are ect. The restaurant he recommended was Tredici 
Gobbi. We then tried to pronounce the name and he simply mad
fun of us and our non existent italian accents. It was a funny cab 
ride to say the least. 


I live in an apartment right near my school about five minute walk.
I live with nine other girls there are five girls from PSU and  five 
from UCONN. We are the only college students living in the 
apartment building the rest are families that are italian. We all get 
along really well and are learning our way around Florence slowly 
but surely. Here in Florence we were told to just "go with the slow" 
meaning that they are not always in a hurry like us americans 
especially in NYC. 


The city is honestly beautiful, I feel as thought I am always walking
in a scene from a movie All of the buildings are so colorful and I 
could look at them forever. We were told at orientation this morning
that we will have "disneyland syndrome" for the next week hence 
the title of this entry.  I hope to learn the language and be able to 
speak it they said its very important to assimilate as best as we 
can to the italian culture.  We walked around the city for about two 
hours last night until  we found an irish pub that was actually all 
americans! Mostly people going to the same school as me. Once 
we left the pub Emily Christine and I came back and googled 
Mcdonalds in Florence obviously. We found one but then decided 
against walking there.. perhaps another night the wind will bring
us to Mcdonalds! All that matters is there is one close by. Also we
found out that there not many food place open after midnight so if we
need a midnight snack we may be out of luck. Delivery doesn't 
exactly exist over here, only in america because we are lazy. 



That all for now it may be hard to keep up with the blog since we 
are so busy, I will do my best though! 


and i will try my hardest not to get hit by a mopeds while here
they drive SOOO FAST around here.


xoxo from italy

No comments:

Post a Comment