Tuesday, February 22, 2011

what a dam city also known as AMSTERDAM

Yet again another uneventful school week here in Florence The amount of school work has kicked in thought because midterms are next week. Wednesday night was a great night, it was Amanda's twenty-first birthday celebration. We started at our bar Naima and it was PACKED for a Wednesday night and then went to Full Up where we danced the night away. I think its safe to say that Amanda's birthday celebrate was a SUCCESS!!

Now onto my first adventure outside of Italy, to the wonderful country of the Netherlands more specifically Amsterdam. We flew out of Florence Friday morning. Let me say its nothing like an airport in New York, you do not need to arrive hours in advance. The airport security was a JOKE, they did not ask for my passport once; I could have easily boarded the plan with a fake name on my boarding ticket. We then had a layover in Munich where we got some afternoon snacks and then boarded the second plane to Amsterdam. Still had not shown my passport kind of terrifying? I guess Europe is more laid back.

Once we arrived in Amsterdam all the signs were in Dutch, which is honestly way to, complicated of a language to comprehend. I just went with the flow boarded a train and then a tram to the beautiful hotel of Hotel Pulitzer (the classiest place I will stay while studying abroad THANKS AMANDA'S DAD). The hotel has a bunch of old canal houses all together; it was beautiful to say the least. Once we dropped our bags off it was time to explore the city of Amsterdam. We found this cute Dutch restaurant, which was not that expensive after all there is a budget while studying abroad. I had chopped steak which I am pretty sure was a Hamburger. It was so nice to have meat since all I eat in Italy is pasta. After dinner it was time for some dessert, which was a chocolate cake at a local coffee shop. The coffee shop was nice and homey. 
                                                                 Chocolate Cake, YUM!


Once we were relaxed it was time to head to the infamous Red Light District. For those of you that do not know, it is a concentration of prostitution and sex-oriented businesses. (I could not take any pictures since its illegal and there are policeman patrolling the area to be sure no one takes any pictures since the women are selling their bodies). It was mind blowing to see this with my own eyes, and to know it was legal was just somewhat upsetting. One scene that was unreal and cant believe I saw with my own eyes  was a women opening her door and picking up a random guy who was waking the streets talking on his cell phone. They then went into her what could be called office and closed the curtain. 

After the Red Light District the next museum on our itinerary was the "Sex Museum" It was a collection of photographs that should be shown to the human eye for the price of four Euros. We lasted about maybe a half hour in the museum and then attempted to make our way back to the hotel. After an hour of not being able to reading a map and entering and leaving the Red Light District we found Hotel Pulitzer and snuggled in a bed that was honestly the most comfortable bed I have ever laid on in my life.

After a great night sleep we woke up and went to this local bagel shop. There were bowls on the table with sugar cubes and chocolate coffee beans, which were HEAVENLY. I had my typically bagel order of cinnamon raisin and butter. It was a great bagel felt as though I was at the bagel store in Croton!
                                                  Sugar cubes, and chocolate coffee beans

It was time to head to the Heineken museum where we got to see the process of making beer as well as the history of Heineken . Beer is not my choice of beverage normally but with the museum pass came two free cups of beer, which were amazingly fresh all for the price of fifteen Euros!


                                                          Products needed to make beer
                                                                Just making some beer

A trip to Amsterdam would not be complete without a visit to the I AM AMSTERDAM sign. There were way to many people there to get a clear photograph of the whole sign, since we went smack dab in the middle of the day but it was still a cool site.

Next on our itinerary was a quick stop at the pancake bakery, if you ever go to amsterdam I highly recommend the place it was AMAZING to say the least. I was in heaven I ordered apple pancakes with cinnamon ice cream. The flavors of pancakes ranged from bacon to a full blown italian style pancake with tomato basil and cheese.

                                                                          HEAVEN!

The last museum that was on the Itinerary was Anne Franks house, which happened to be on the same road as our hotel. The house was simply amazing I can’t believe that I was in the home where Anne Frank hid. I will have to read her diary once back in the states that for sure.

After a long day of touring Amsterdam I could have used a nap but there was no time for that it was time to get ready for the TRANCE ENERGY. I was a little nervous about experiencing my first rave in a foreign country but it ended up being the time of my life. We had to take a half hour train to the rave, once we arrived all I could do was pump my first jersey shore style and in take the beats that could be heard a mile away. I pushed my way through the crowd because I was determined to make it to the front and it worked! I was front and center in taking all the beats of Aviccii, Tiesto, and other djs that I do not recall. I knew of Tiesto but not much, once a song I knew came on I jumped for joy and just stood in awe as I watched the lights go along with the beat. 


                                                                   READY TO RAVE
                                                            LIGHTS LIGHTS LIGHTS


I left the concert at 630 AM, and arrived back at our hotel at 8AM. No time to sleep since we had to get to the airport and catch our 11AM flight, we made it with time to spare! I felt like a zombie all I could think about at this point was my bed in Florence. Anytime we sat down I feel asleep within seconds, we had a flight to Munich again and then Munich to Florence both flights felt like 2 seconds since I fell asleep before we had even taken off. Once back in Florence I took a run for my bed took a three-hour nap and now am back on track and functioning. The rave was well worth not getting sleep I would do anything to be back there... At least Sensation White is only 19 days away, another rave the roomies and I will be attending. I can’t ask for a better way to end my spring break then with a rave and the arrival of my best friend CYNTHIA CLARK!!!!

I did not know what to expect from Amsterdam, but after spending only 48 hours there I fell in love with it, it was way more beautiful then I had expected AND would love to go back

That all for now folks, missing all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment